Translate

Translate

Monday, June 2, 2014

Journal response 3

Journal response 3

F

In a historical fiction novel, the writer spends a great deal of time describing every detail so the reader's can learn and imagine the actual time period. It is not enough to say a character walked down the street. The reader has to be able to see the street, see the conveyances;  he has to smell the smoke from the factories or the sewage in the gutter. If there are street vendors, he has to know what they're selling. This is a new world: the reader an't fathom it unless you give him images. SO, return to the chapter and pick out the descriptive and sensory details that paint the scene of that time period. How do these details help as a reader?

The bitter cold winter made my breath fog up. I heard the song Yankee doodle coming from the fire place. I love the song and would gladly join them. I saw the makeshift tents that were made of rags. I smelled the smoke that was from the fire. I heard the food sizzling. I knew that the food today was going to be good. My eyes went to my brothers colonel tent. It was a little better than the other tents. These details will paint a picture in the readers head and will help them understand what the camp looks like.

No comments:

Post a Comment